August 2023 - Calumet District Update
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW, Calumet District Chair
Greetings Calumet District,
I hope this update finds you all in good spirits. The summer has been quite productive for the chapter. I hope you all have been enjoying your summer break and that you are continuing to enjoy all of the activities and festivals that this season brings. As your dstrict chair, I would like to thank all of those that participated in the district’s recent CEU event, Culture Matters: I am Because We Are. It was the first session of a three-part training on enhancing the discussion around diversity as well as learning how to recognize, address, and resolve issues of racial micro-aggressions. This CEU event was a huge success. It was extremely informative and interactive. I hope we can continue to bring such educational and thought-provoking events to our district.
I would like to thank our presenter Dr. Cheryl Stampley for her time, dedication, and instruction, and all those that assisted in making this event a success. Please stay tuned for more information on the remainder of the series for this training.
As for district news, our district is partnering with the NASW-IL Chicago District for our next CEU event. Please see information below.
Should you have any suggestions for CEU events or have questions, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com I hope to see you soon.
Fatness as Identity
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023, from 10:00am to 2:00pm
Venue: Woodson Regional Library - 9525 S. Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60628
Presenter: Melinda Gronen, LCSW, MA
Cost: 1 Implicit Bias CEU and 3 Cultural Competency CEUs / $60 Nonmember / FREE NASW Member
Description: This NASW-IL Calumet & Chicago Districts event will explore the origins of anti-fatness and fat discrimination through consideration of implicit bias fueled by diet culture and the medical field, the impact of fat phobia and fat discrimination on individual identity development, the medical ideal of health, and the contributing macro factors of individualism and capitalism.
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW
NASW-IL Calumet District Chair
IDFPR Officially Removes In-Person CE Requirement
Rules have been officially passed by JCAR to entirely remove the in-person continuing education requirement from social work licensure renewal. This means that for the current licensure renewal cycle ending on November 30, 2023, and onwards, the requirement that a minimum of 50% of continuing education hours be obtained by a method that includes face-to-face, in-person instruction is now entirely removed from social work licensure. While the department still has to complete an administrative step before the rule change is officially adopted, for the purposes of Illinois social workers, the previous requirement that 50% of education be obtained in-person is no longer required. Thank you to our members for your work and support to get this monumental requirement lifted from licensure. Read more about the removal here: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-officially-removes-in-person-ce-requirement
Registration is OPEN! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference
Registration is now open for this year’s 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession. This year’s two-day conference will be hosted with our sister chapters, NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota, and offer up to 11.0 CEUs including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. Register at: https://site.pheedloop.com/event/2023nasw/home. Find out more at: https://www.naswil.org/conference.
2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Conference Website: https://www.naswil.org/conference
Dates: Thursday, November 2 & Friday, November 3, 2023
CEUs: 11.0 CEUs including courses fulfilling requirements for ethics and cultural competency
Time: 11:00am–5:30pm Central Time
Schedule and Classes: Complete conference schedule and classes will be announced in August 2023
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Accepting Nominations for the 2023 Social Work Awards
Extended Deadline: Thursday, August 17, 2023
The nomination deadline has been extended! Nominations are still being accepted for this year's NASW-Illinois Chapter Social Work Awards! We’re looking for outstanding individuals whose work has supported and promoted the social work profession and the people it serves. Nominations will be accepted through Thursday, August 17, 2023. Read more about the award categories and how to request a nomination form at: https://www.naswil.org/post/deadline-extended-accepting-nominations-for-the-2023-social-work-awards.
Other Chapter News
• NASW Chapter Presidents Call for Affirmative Action Support: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-chapter-presidents-call-for-affirmative-action-support
• Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL: https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
• NASW Mourns Loss of Past President Mildred “Mit” Joyner: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-mourns-loss-of-past-president-mildred-mit-joyner
• NASW Deeply Disappointed by Recent Supreme Court Rulings: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-deeply-disappointed-by-recent-supreme-court-rulings
• NASW is Committed to Advancing the Human Rights and Well-being of all LGBTQIA2S+ People: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-is-committed-to-advancing-the-human-rights-and-well-being-of-all-lgbtqia2s-people-1
• Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know - https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
• June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
• Learn More About Social Work Exam Alternative Bill HB2365 SA1: https://www.naswil.org/post/learn-more-about-social-work-exam-alternate-bill-hb2365-ha1
• Ask NASW-IL: Can a CEU course fulfill 2 CEU specialties at once? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-can-a-ceu-course-fulfill-2-ceu-specialties-at-once
• Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
• Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? - https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
• February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog