July 2023 - Calumet District Update
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW, Calumet District Chair
Greetings Calumet District,
Welcome to July! I am sure you are in the full swing of summer activities, sun, and fun. Hopefully, you all are enjoying and managing well despite the poor air quality. We are now heading into the holiday and fourth of July (Independence Day) celebrations. Please enjoy and be safe.
As for district news, I have been working on several events but for now, we have an upcoming CEU event. Please see information below. Should you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to reach out to me. I hope to see you soon.
Upcoming CEU Event:
Culture Matters: I Am Because We Are
Date: Friday, July 28, 2023, from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
Venue: Orland Park Library - 14291 S. Ravinia Ave, Orland Park, IL 60462
Presenter: Cheryl D. Stampley, PhD, LCSW
Cost: 4 Cultural Competency CEUs / $60 Nonmember / FREE NASW Member
Description: Join this NASW-IL Calumet District event to learn how to enhance the discussion around diversity and how to engage in healthy ways to communicate. Learn to recognize at least 10 common racial micro-aggressions and identify ways to become more culturally competent. Additionally, we will learn how to respond when someone is offended by comments and how to apologize and demonstrate empathy.
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW
NASW-IL Calumet District Chair
Save the Date! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference
This year's annual conference has been announced! This year's 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession will be a two-day conference hosted with our sister chapters, NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota. Find out more at: https://www.naswil.org/conference
2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Conference Website: https://www.naswil.org/conference
Dates: Thursday, November 2 & Friday, November 3, 2023
Time: 11:00am–5:30pm Central Time
Registration: Conference registration will be available in August 2023
Schedule and Classes: Complete conference schedule and classes will be announced in August 2023
Ask NASW-IL: Do I need the Alzheimer's training requirement if I don't work with older adults?
One of the newer education requirements affecting the current licensure cycle ending on November 30, 2023, is the requirement of one-hour (minimum) training on the diagnosis, treatment, and care of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. However, this requirements doesn't apply to ALL social workers renewing their LSW or LCSW licenses.
Other Chapter News
• June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
• Learn More About Social Work Exam Alternative Bill HB2365 SA1: https://www.naswil.org/post/learn-more-about-social-work-exam-alternate-bill-hb2365-ha1
• Ask NASW-IL: Has there been any update on removal of the in-person requirement for licensure? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-has-there-been-any-update-on-removal-of-the-in-person-requirement-for-licensure
• Ask NASW-IL: Can a CEU course fulfill 2 CEU specialties at once? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-can-a-ceu-course-fulfill-2-ceu-specialties-at-once
• Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
• Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? - https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
• February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog