July 2023 - Northeastern District Update
Jacki Brunk (she/her), LCSW, Northeastern District Chair
Welcome to the monthly district update for the Northeast District!
Summer is here! July is host to National Picnic Month, National Ice Cream Month, and National Hot Dog Month, as well as many other fun things to appreciate. It’s also a month to acknowledge a more serious World Day Against Trafficking in Persons on July 30th. HIV Stigma and Hepatitis Awareness are also acknowledged this month, as well as Arthritis Awareness, in addition to Wild about Wildlife Month and National Culture Conscious Week. As a social worker, you may find yourself at the foothills of any or all of these acknowledgements and bring your expertise to the table in important discussions about how to help others. I hope you are enjoying this summer so far and celebrating yourself in the midst of the serious, as well as the fun, occasions that mark July.
I’m thinking of various topics that I’d like to learn more about; but I really want to hear from YOU. I’ll be planning both live and virtual events to help members gain a deeper understanding of topics, issues, or populations they are passionate about, with the added bonus of receiving CEUs toward licensure.
Please reach out to me with comments, questions and/or suggestions about the information NASW shares with you. I’ll continue to schedule CEU events throughout the year, and want to hear from you regarding topics or speakers that interest you.
Save the Date! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference
This year's annual conference has been announced! This year's 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession will be a two-day conference hosted with our sister chapters, NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota. Find out more at:https://www.naswil.org/conference
2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Conference Website: https://www.naswil.org/conference
Dates: Thursday, November 2 & Friday, November 3, 2023
Time: 11:00am–5:30pm Central Time
Registration: Conference registration will be available in August 2023
Schedule and Classes: Complete conference schedule and classes will be announced in August 2023
Ask NASW-IL: Do I need the Alzheimer's training requirement if I don't work with older adults?
One of the newer education requirements affecting the current licensure cycle ending on November 30, 2023, is the requirement of one-hour (minimum) training on the diagnosis, treatment, and care of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. However, this requirements doesn't apply to ALL social workers renewing their LSW or LCSW licenses.
Other Chapter News
· June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update:https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
· Learn More About Social Work Exam Alternative Bill HB2365 SA1:https://www.naswil.org/post/learn-more-about-social-work-exam-alternate-bill-hb2365-ha1
· Ask NASW-IL: Has there been any update on removal of the in-person requirement for licensure? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-has-there-been-any-update-on-removal-of-the-in-person-requirement-for-licensure
· Ask NASW-IL: Can a CEU course fulfill 2 CEU specialties at once?https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-can-a-ceu-course-fulfill-2-ceu-specialties-at-once
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? -https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog