September 2023 - Northeastern District Update
Jacki Brunk (she/her), LCSW
Northeastern District Chair
Welcome to the monthly district update for the Northeast District!
Join the NASW-IL Northeastern District for a chat with your State Senator Mary Edly-Allen to learn of legislation that may affect you and other social workers. Senator Edly-Allen will be at the Grayslake Area Public Library on October 12th from 10-11am. Bring your questions to ask Senator Edly-Allen, and learn how current or future legislation may impact you as your role as a social worker in the community. This event provides one CEU. You can register for this event here: https://naswil.wufoo.com/forms/z1krceux1sidymd/
I am proud to announce that a member of our district has been nominated as 2023 NASW-Illinois Chapter Social Worker of the Year! Congratulations to Chelsea Laliberte Barns (she/her), MSSA, LSW!
Be sure to check out the NASW IL https://www.naswil.org/chapter-awards in September for full bios and backgrounds of all our award winners.
There are a host of CEU opportunities for social workers to attend and meet the requirements for licensure renewal in November. Remember to check the website https://www.naswil.org
for virtual and in-person events that you’re interested in.
Please reach out to me with comments, questions and/or suggestions about the information NASW shares with you. I want to hear from you regarding topics or speakers that interest you.
Registration Open! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Join us for two days of live virtual education with social workers across our sister chapters in NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota! This year's annual conference will take place on Thursday, November 2, and Friday, November 3, 2023, via Pheedloop. Up to 11.0 live virtual CEUs will be offered, including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. For more information and to register, go to: naswmeets.org.
IDFPR Officially Removes In-Person CE Requirement
As previously reported by the chapter, rules have been officially passed by the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) to entirely remove the in-person continuing education requirement from social work licensure renewal. This means that for the current licensure renewal cycle ending on November 30, 2023, and onwards, the requirement that a minimum of 50% of continuing education hours be obtained by a method that includes face-to-face, in-person instruction is now entirely removed from social work licensure. Read our full article here: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-officially-removes-in-person-ce-requirement.
NASW Seeks Public Comment for Draft Clinical Social Work Standards
DEADLINE: September 15, 2023
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Task Force for Clinical Social Work Practice Standards is seeking feedback from members on the draft, "NASW Standards for Clinical Social Workers in Social Work Practice," which is now available for public comment. The draft offers guidance to clinical social workers in all clinical settings and serves as a benchmark for the services they provide. Read more here: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-seeks-public-comment-for-draft-clinical-social-work-standards
Other Chapter News:
· Partial Loan Repayment Assistance Available to Those Working in Community Mental Health Centers: https://www.naswil.org/post/partial-loan-repayment-assistance-available-to-those-working-in-community-mental-health-centers
· NASW-IL Advocacy At Work: Gov. Signs HB 2365 Providing Alternative to ASWB Exam: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-il-advocacy-at-work-gov-signs-hb-2365-providing-alternative-to-aswb-exam
· Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL:https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
· Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know -https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
· June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? -https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog