August 2023 - Southern District Update
Diona Shelton (she/her), DSW, LCSW, CATP, CCTP
Southern District Chair
Welcome to the month of August, Southern District!
Greetings to all as we embark upon another month filled with possibilities. I would like to first express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mildred “Mit” Joyner who served as our national NASW President from July 2020 through June 2023. Mildred Joyner was a giant in the social work profession and will be greatly remembered as an educator, social work advocate, pioneer, and extraordinary role model with her leadership and activism that transcended for more than 30 years. May her memory live on in all of us as we continue in the meaningful work we do every day to create a more equitable and inclusive society for all.
The Southern District is preparing for its next in-person CEU Event that will take place on Saturday, September 9th. We warmly welcome our presenter, Emily Kircher-Morris, MA, Med, LPC, as we explore the topic of suicidality and self-injury in neurodivergent clients. Limited spaces remain, and I would love to see you there.
As we move forward into the month of August, let us do so with the passion and tenacity that our great leader displayed, and let our light continue to shine as bright as the stars.
Dr. Diona Shelton, DSW, LCSW, CATP, CCTP
NASW-IL Southern District Chair
Southern District CEU Event
Assessing and Treating Suicidality & Self-Injury in Neurodivergent Clients Date: Saturday, September 9th 2023, from 9:30 AM to 12:30pm Venue: Collinsville Library - 408 W. Main Street, Collinsville, IL 62234 Presenter: Emily Kircher-Morris, MA, MEd, LPC (she/her) Cost: 3 CEUs / $45 Nonmember / FREE NASW Member
Description: This Southern District CEU event provides an in-depth exploration of the unique risk factors for suicide and non-suicidal self-injury in neurodivergent individuals (with diagnoses like ADHD and autism), including emotional dysregulation, impulsivity, and communication difficulties. These factors make traditional treatment strategies ineffective and require specialized approaches to address them in the clinical setting. In addition to exploring the complex challenges of treating neurodivergent clients who engage in suicidal and self-injurious behaviors, this session will also focus on the impact of the individual's sensory needs and environmental factors (such as difficulties with educational or social settings) on assessment and treatment.
Attendees will have the opportunity to analyze case studies and engage in interactive activities to develop strategies for addressing these challenges. Through this comprehensive approach, mental health clinicians will improve their ability to provide effective, strengths-based support and treatment for neurodivergent clients struggling with suicidal and self-injurious behaviors.
Join us for this engaging and interactive session to enhance your clinical skills and gain valuable insights into supporting this unique population.
IDFPR Officially Removes In-Person CE Requirement
Rules have been officially passed by JCAR to entirely remove the in-person continuing education requirement from social work licensure renewal. This means that for the current licensure renewal cycle ending on November 30, 2023, and onwards, the requirement that a minimum of 50% of continuing education hours be obtained by a method that includes face-to-face, in-person instruction is now entirely removed from social work licensure. While the department still has to complete an administrative step before the rule change is officially adopted, for the purposes of Illinois social workers, the previous requirement that 50% of education be obtained in-person is no longer required. Thank you to our members for your work and support to get this monumental requirement lifted from licensure. Read more about the removal here: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-officially-removes-in-person-ce-requirement
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Accepting Nominations for the 2023 Social Work Awards
Extended Deadline: Thursday, August 17, 2023
The nomination deadline has been extended! Nominations are still being accepted for this year's NASW-Illinois Chapter Social Work Awards! We’re looking for outstanding individuals whose work has supported and promoted the social work profession and the people it serves. Nominations will be accepted through Thursday, August 17, 2023. Read more about the award categories and how to request a nomination form at: https://www.naswil.org/post/deadline-extended-accepting-nominations-for-the-2023-social-work-awards.
Registration is OPEN! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference
Registration is now open for this year’s 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession. This year’s two-day conference will be hosted with our sister chapters, NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota, and offer up to 11.0 CEUs including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. Register at: https://site.pheedloop.com/event/2023nasw/home. Find out more at: https://www.naswil.org/conference.
2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Conference Website: https://www.naswil.org/conference
Dates: Thursday, November 2 & Friday, November 3, 2023
CEUs: 11.0 CEUs including courses fulfilling requirements for ethics and cultural competency
Time: 11:00am–5:30pm Central Time
Schedule and Classes: Complete conference schedule and classes will be announced in August 2023
Other Chapter News
· NASW Chapter Presidents Call for Affirmative Action Support: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-chapter-presidents-call-for-affirmative-action-support
· Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL: https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
· NASW Mourns Loss of Past President Mildred “Mit” Joyner: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-mourns-loss-of-past-president-mildred-mit-joyner
· NASW Deeply Disappointed by Recent Supreme Court Rulings: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-deeply-disappointed-by-recent-supreme-court-rulings
· NASW is Committed to Advancing the Human Rights and Well-being of all LGBTQIA2S+ People: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-is-committed-to-advancing-the-human-rights-and-well-being-of-all-lgbtqia2s-people-1
· Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know - https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
· June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
· Learn More About Social Work Exam Alternative Bill HB2365 SA1: https://www.naswil.org/post/learn-more-about-social-work-exam-alternate-bill-hb2365-ha1
· Ask NASW-IL: Can a CEU course fulfill 2 CEU specialties at once? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-can-a-ceu-course-fulfill-2-ceu-specialties-at-once
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? - https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog