Diona Shelton (she/her), DSW, LCSW, CATP, CCTP
Southern District Chair
February is Black History Month!
Welcome to the month of February, Southern District! I trust you all are finding ways to stay warm and active in these cold winter months. February is Black History Month and the time when we reflect on the significant achievements and contributions of Black Americans. Black Americans are a diverse group with varied racial and ethnic identities and experiences. Black Americans, especially Black social workers, played a pivotal role in our society in the civil rights movement to bring equal rights to all. Throughout U.S. history, Black Americans have resisted all forms of historical and ongoing oppression. Some major efforts include but are not limited to participating in sit-ins, protests, boycotts, strikes, and walkouts that have taken place in the pursuit of self-determination and the fight for justice in all aspects of society. The NASW proudly commemorates Black History Month and the ongoing efforts of social workers to continue this fight against discrimination and systemic oppression to create a more just society for all. I invite you to learn more about the significant contributions and achievements of black social workers and have included a link to help celebrate this wonderful month: NASW Celebrates Black History Month! - YouTube
Dr. Diona Shelton, DSW, LCSW, CATP, CCTP
NASW-IL Southern District Chair
Join the 2024 NASW-Illinois Chapter Board of Directors
DEADLINE: March 1, 2024
Want to make a difference for social workers in Illinois and beyond? Have expertise in a particular method or field of social work practice? Hold a unique perspective that you believe is under-represented? Joining the NASW-Illinois Chapter Board of Directors is a great way to implement change, share your knowledge, and voice your opinions! Getting involved in your professional association or consider nominating a colleague for a leadership position. Read more about the board responsibilities in the 2024 NASW-Illinois Chapter Board Leadership Recruitment Packet or our NASW Delegate Assembly flyer, or contact us to request a nomination form.
Ask NASW-IL: How can I utilize the alternative to the ASWB exam to get my LCSW?
An updated version of the social work license application utilizing the alternative to the ASWB clinical exam for clinical (LCSW) licensure in Illinois has now been released by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (IDFPR). This updated application incorporates an allowance provided by House Bill 2365, and provides a way for applicants who were unable to pass the ASWB clinical exam an alternative path to obtaining their LCSW. Read more about how to utilize the alternative to the ASWB exam for getting your LCSW by clicking here.
ANNOUNCING: 2024 NASW-IL Advocacy Day
Tuesday, April 16, 2024
For the first time since 2019, this year's Advocacy Day is back IN PERSON! Join the NASW-Illinois Chapter on Tuesday, April 16, 2024, for our annual day of social work advocacy with other social work professionals and students. This year's Advocacy Day has been restructured to further enhance students and social workers' advocacy skills and ability to lobby directly to elected officials and their staffers. Read more about the day as well as register by clicking here.
Accepting Nominations for the 2024 Social Work Awards
DEADLINE: Monday, April 22, 2024
Nominations are now being accepted for the annual NASW-Illinois Chapter Social Work Awards! This year, we are looking for outstanding individuals whose work has supported and promoted the social work profession and the people it serves. Nominations will be accepted for the following award categories: Social Worker of the Year, Lifetime Achievement Award, Public Citizen of the Year, and Emerging Leader. To read more about the award categories and requirements as well as request a nomination, click here.
Call for Presenters! 2024 NASW Chapters Virtual Conference
DEADLINE: 9am Central Time on Wednesday, May 1, 2024
This year's annual conference has been announced! This year's 2024 NASW Chapters Virtual Conference: Empowering Social Workers will be hosted by the NASW-Illinois, Nevada, and North Dakota Chapters, and take place on Thursday, November 7 and Friday, November 8, 2024. Presenters are invited to submit 60-minute presentations on a diverse array of topics including (but not limited to) cultural competency and implicit bias as it affects the social work profession. Preference will be given to dynamic presenters whose presentations are creative, interactive, and audience-engaged. To read more about presentation requirements as well as submit a presentation, click here.
IDFPR Licensure Renewal Requirements for 2023–2025
Last December 1, 2023, marked the beginning of a new licensure cycle. For the full list of updated IDFPR requirements for social work licensure renewal, please visit our CEU Requirements page: https://www.naswil.org/ceu-requirements
Other Chapter News:
· January 2024 - Student Network SIG Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/january-2024-student-network-sig-update
· NASW Tips & Tools for Social Workers: Optum/United Behavioral Health Overpayments - https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-tips-tools-for-social-workers-optum-united-behavioral-health-overpayments
· Ask NASW-IL: How can I utilize the alternative to the ASWB exam to get my LCSW?: https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-how-can-i-utilize-the-alternative-to-the-aswb-exam-to-get-my-lcsw
· IDFPR Licensure Renewal Requirements for 2023–2025: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-licensure-renewal-requirements-for-2023-2025
· Join the 2024 NASW-Illinois Chapter Board of Directors: https://www.naswil.org/post/join-the-2024-nasw-illinois-chapter-board-of-directors
· NASW-IL Advocacy At Work: HB2394 Passes, Addressing Licensure Processing Delays - https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-il-advocacy-at-work-hb2394-passes-addressing-licensure-processing-delays
· Partial Loan Repayment Assistance Available to Those Working in Community Mental Health Centers: https://www.naswil.org/post/partial-loan-repayment-assistance-available-to-those-working-in-community-mental-health-centers
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog