September 2023 - Calumet District Update
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW, Calumet District Chair
Greetings Fellow Social Workers of the Calumet District,
Welcome to fall! Wow! Where did the time go?! I hope you all have had a fun and productive summer. School is back in session, and everyone is busy. Let us send up prayers of safety, peace, and wishes of a wonderful school year to all students, teachers, school social workers, and other school staff. May they all be blessed!
As we are all looking forward to the change and sense of comfort that fall brings, I would like to remind you to also take advantage of this time to reflect and prioritize your self-care. Be sure to seek opportunities for personal and career development. And don’t please check in on your colleagues.
During this season, it is also important to keep in mind that we are approaching our season of licensing renewal. If you haven’t heard the amazing news, IDFPR has officially removed the in-person requirement for CEUs. This change in policy is a major success and widens the scope on inclusion for the field of social work. Should you have questions and need more information regarding licensure requirements, please find helpful information here: https://www.naswil.org/ceu-requirements
As for district news, our district is partnering with the Chicago District for next CEU event. Please see below! We hope to see you there.
Upcoming CEU Event:
Fatness as Identity
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2023, from 10:00am to 2:00pm
Venue: Woodson Regional Library - 9525 S. Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60628
Presenter: Melinda Gronen, LCSW, MA
Cost: 1 Implicit Bias CEU and 3 Cultural Competency CEUs / $60 Nonmember / FREE NASW Member
Description: This NASW-IL Calumet & Chicago Districts event will explore the origins of anti-fatness and fat discrimination through consideration of implicit bias fueled by diet culture and the medical field, the impact of fat phobia and fat discrimination on individual identity development, the medical ideal of health, and the contributing macro factors of individualism and capitalism.
Should you have any suggestions for CEU events or have questions, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com I hope to see you soon.
Samantha Allen, MSW, LCSW
NASW-IL Calumet District Chair
Registration Open! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Join us for two days of live virtual education with social workers across our sister chapters in NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota! This year's annual conference will take place on Thursday, November 2, and Friday, November 3, 2023, via Pheedloop. Up to 11.0 live virtual CEUs will be offered, including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. For more information and to register, go to: naswmeets.org.
IDFPR Officially Removes In-Person CE Requirement
As previously reported by the chapter, rules have been officially passed by the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) to entirely remove the in-person continuing education requirement from social work licensure renewal. This means that for the current licensure renewal cycle ending on November 30, 2023, and onwards, the requirement that a minimum of 50% of continuing education hours be obtained by a method that includes face-to-face, in-person instruction is now entirely removed from social work licensure. Read our full article here: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-officially-removes-in-person-ce-requirement.
NASW Seeks Public Comment for Draft Clinical Social Work Standards
DEADLINE: September 15, 2023
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Task Force for Clinical Social Work Practice Standards is seeking feedback from members on the draft, "NASW Standards for Clinical Social Workers in Social Work Practice," which is now available for public comment. The draft offers guidance to clinical social workers in all clinical settings and serves as a benchmark for the services they provide. Read more here: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-seeks-public-comment-for-draft-clinical-social-work-standards
Other Chapter News:
• Partial Loan Repayment Assistance Available to Those Working in Community Mental Health Centers: https://www.naswil.org/post/partial-loan-repayment-assistance-available-to-those-working-in-community-mental-health-centers
• NASW-IL Advocacy At Work: Gov. Signs HB 2365 Providing Alternative to ASWB Exam: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-il-advocacy-at-work-gov-signs-hb-2365-providing-alternative-to-aswb-exam
• Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL: https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
• Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know - https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
• June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update: https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
• Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
• Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? - https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
• February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact: https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog