February 2020 - Southern District Update
Updated: Feb 3
Sarah Basler, Southern District Update
SPRING IS AROUND THE CORNER!
Hello! We are getting closer to spring! I hope everyone is feeling re-energized, warm, and ready to feel the sunshine.
Please welcome our newly joined and renewed members for the Southern District: Alison Brown, Renee Davidson, Katherine Mitchell, Christine Spaulding, M. Stalls, Dana Taylor, Lindsey Adams, Eden Atwood, William Bishop, Amanda Depew, Jane Edgar, Amy Haeer, Joseph Harper, Marcia Hess, Teresa Miller, Christine Mize, Cynthia Riewski, Rachel Salazar, Susan Shelton, Min, Shin, Anita Sirevaag, and Jennifer Whitter!
We kicked off the New Year on January 24th with a cultural competency training in Marion at Heartland Regional Medical Center. Gary Pate, MSSW, LCSW shared his knowledge and passion about cultural humility and how to incorporate this in our practices and daily life. A big thank you to everyone that joined us and to Gary for spending the morning with us.
In February we will have a training with our very own NASW-Illinois Chapter Executive Director Joel Rubin. We hope to see many new faces and spend a few hours together learning from Joel.
Wednesday, 02-26-20 – Preparing the 21st Century Social Work Workforce
Description: Under the auspices of the NASW-Illinois chapter, leaders from the social work employment/practice arena and schools of social work are working together to strengthen the preparation of social workers entering the work force and ensuring the important role that social work will continue to play in the human services marketplace. This workshop will discuss the findings of social work workforce summits about the core competencies needed for a twenty-first century social work workforce. The workshop will also cover the progress of the Telligen Community Initiative social work workforce research grant the Chapter received for 2020.
Where: Mackies Pizza, 2704 Walton Way, Marion, IL 62959.
When: 5:30-7:30 PM
Cost: 2.0 CEUs / $30 Nonmember / Free NASW Member
Presenter(s): Joel L. Rubin
March is Social Work month!! NASW is celebrating its 65th year. J This year’s theme is Social Workers: Generations Strong. Please keep an eye out for the Southern Districts events. Also, the link below has some amazing information to review!
We have a very large district with both rural, urban, and many in between areas. We are trying to get all geographic areas involved. Our Southern District members are very spread out. I am asking all Southern District members to e-mail any thoughts or ideas on workshops, presentations, and areas for our district! Please e-mail any ideas, thoughts or concerns to- firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope to hear from and see many of you in the next month and more!
Other News and Upcoming Events:
· Social Work Month 2020 Theme
The theme for Social Work Month 2020 (March) is Social Workers: Generations Strong
· Social Work Advocacy Day – Thursday, April 2, 2020, Springfield, IL
The 2020 NASW-Illinois Chapter Advocacy Day is scheduled for Thursday, April 2, 2020 (https://www.naswil.org/advocacy-day). The deadline for registration is Friday, March 24, 2020. As indicated on our website, the format for the day has altered significantly from previous years.
· If you work with social work students, this year we are also introducing an exciting new component, the NASW-Illinois Chapter Lobby Leaders Program (https://www.naswil.org/lobbyleaders). This full-day training, completely underwritten by NASW IL, will take place the day before Advocacy Day (Wednesday, April 1st) and is specifically customized to train students to serve as lobby leaders in preparation for Advocacy Day on April 2nd. Please share information about this new program with your students. The deadline for registration for the Lobby Leaders Program is Monday, March 16, 2020.
· Graduate Students Can Now Take LSW Exam Before Graduation: https://www.naswil.org/post/graduate-students-can-now-take-lsw-exam-before-graduation
· Don’t forget to check-out the NASW Illinois MyNASW Community: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-illinois-mynasw-community
· 2019-2021 IDFPR Licensure Renewal Changes: https://www.naswil.org/post/2019-2021-idfpr-licensure-renewal-changes