- NASW-IL Staff
March 2020 - Southern District Update
Sarah Basler, Southern District Update
Take a moment to pause, reflect, and pat yourself and a social work peer on the back for all of your hard work and dedication to this field, your career, and the population that you serve! To celebrate us and Social Worker Month, pick a social worker, buy a card or coffee, a funny magnet, or even a beautiful handpicked spring flower; food, coffee, and chocolate are always great ideas! Celebrate each other and the field ALL MONTH! March 17th is Social Work Day. I for one am very thankful for all the social workers that have mentored me along my way, and I love to pay that forward!
The Southern District had a great presentation and evening of food and company on February 26, 2020. We learned about the latest initiatives in the workforce from NASW-Illinois Chapter Executive Director Joel L. Rubin. There will be some information coming out to continue the research for the Telligen Community Initiave. If you receive an e-mail or survey, please take the time to complete it and be a part of this great research!
Please be on the look out for our next CEU presentation at SIU-Carbondale with Christina Mize. It will be April 1st from 1:00-4:00pm! Registration will be open soon!
As our district starts to grow, we are looking for more trainings and presentations across the district! We can always use more passionate presenters with fresh ideas! If you know someone in your home area, or if you feel you have an idea you would like to share with the district, please let me know and we can see if we can get some new, fun trainings started!
Please welcome our new, returning, or renewing NASW members from January: Yvonne Dawdy, Samantha DuReitz, Nicole Garren, Jessica Gunther, Saliwe Kawewe, Ruth Kubicek, Jerry Molumby, Jarod Payne, Ronald Quick, Diona Shelton, and Marilyn Syephens! Please share your energy and passion of social work and the NASW with others! Let’s grow this chapter and connect with each other!
2020 ADVOCACY DAY & RALLY
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2020
Registration Cost (No CEUs): $10.00
Registration Deadline: Friday, March 27, 2020 - https://naswil.wufoo.com/forms/46000-advocacy-day-040220/
The chapter has announced this year’s 2020 Advocacy Day & Rally to take place on Thursday, April 2, 2020. We have worked to vastly redo the structure and function of Advocacy Day to ensure more effective lobbying with our representatives. You can read full details about the revamped day on our website: https://www.naswil.org/advocacy-day. Hope to see you there for this important day!
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Submit a proposal: https://naswil.wufoo.com/forms/call-for-proposals-2020-naswil-ethics-conference/
DEADLINE: Monday, April 27, 2020
The NASW-Illinois Chapter is opening a call for ethics presentations that are creative, interactive, and audience-engaged. We’re searching for dynamic presenters who can lead social workers through discussions and peer-sharing about topics relating to ethics. Presentations can be from 60, 90, or 120 minutes in length and must fulfill IDFPR requirements for ethics education. We want ethics to be fun—as such we are strongly discouraging lecture-only based presentations. Read more here: https://www.naswil.org/post/call-for-proposals-2020-nasw-il-conference
OTHER CHAPTER NEWS
• NASW demands Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) cease sharing immigrant youth psychotherapy notes: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-demands-office-of-refugee-resettlement-orr-cease-sharing-immigrant-youth-psychotherapy-notes
• FEBRUARY 2020 UPDATE: Pre-Approval for Graduate Students Taking the LSW Exam: https://www.naswil.org/post/update-pre-approval-for-graduate-students-taking-the-lsw-exam
• National Association of Social Workers Opposes President Trump’s Fiscal 2021 Budget: https://www.naswil.org/post/national-association-of-social-workers-opposes-president-trump-s-fiscal-2021-budget
• NASW opposes President Trump’s new travel ban: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-opposes-president-trump-s-new-travel-ban
• 2020 NASW-Illinois Chapter Endorsements: https://www.naswil.org/post/2020-nasw-illinois-chapter-endorsements
• NASW opposes new Medicaid Block Grant Initiative: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-opposes-new-medicaid-block-grant-initiative
• Call for Proposals! 2020 NASW-IL Conference: https://www.naswil.org/post/call-for-proposals-2020-nasw-il-conference
• U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Punishes Poor and Working Class Immigrants: https://www.naswil.org/post/u-s-supreme-court-ruling-punishes-poor-and-working-class-immigrants
• NASW Illinois MyNASW Community: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-illinois-mynasw-community