March 2020 - Three Rivers District Update
Diana Alejandro, Three Rivers District Update
Happy Social Work Month - Three Rivers District!
What does being a social worker mean to you? Was it a calling, your passion, or a second career? It doesn’t really matter how you got here, what matters is that you are here. You are part of a long line of outstanding practitioners including the likes of Jane Addams, Frances Perkins, Mary Richmond, Dorothy Height, Thyra Edwards, Ida B. Wells, Whitney Young, Antonia Pantoja, and Barbara Mikulski. We are frontline workers, researchers, professors, administrators, supervisors, mentors, teachers, actors, and politicians. We are Social Workers: Generations Strong. As Helen Keller once said, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
Thank you to all who attended our February CEU event, “Vicarious Trauma: Self-Awareness,” at the Addison Library. A special shoutout to fellow district member Kathy Krewer for her assistance in helping us secure this venue. We look forward to seeing everyone who signed up for our March 5th CEU event in Forest Park. Have a great Social Work Month!
UPCOMING DISTRICT EVENT
Thursday 03.05.2020 – Reflections on the Art of Aging – SOLD OUT
Description: This CEU event will show how to discern the positive and negative images of aging and their impact on your therapeutic alliances with your clients.
Where: Riveredge Hospital, 8311 W. Roosevelt, Forest Park, IL 60130
When: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM
Cost: 3.0 CEUs / $45 Nonmember / Free NASW Member
Presenter(s): Caryl Pripusich
To be added to the waiting list, click here: https://naswil.wufoo.com/forms/naswil-workshop-waiting-list/
2020 ADVOCACY DAY & RALLY
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2020
Registration Cost (No CEUs): $10.00
Registration - https://naswil.wufoo.com/forms/46000-advocacy-day-040220/
Deadline: Friday, March 27, 2020
The chapter announced this year’s Advocacy Day & Rally to take place on Thursday, April 2, 2020. The structure and function has been vastly changed to ensure more effective lobbying with our representatives. You can read full details about the revamped day on the Chapters website: https://www.naswil.org/advocacy-day. Hope to see you there for this important day!
2020 NASW-IL ETHICS CONFERENCE – Call for Proprosals
The NASW-Illinois Chapter is opening a call for ethics presentations that are creative, interactive, and audience-engaged. We’re searching for dynamic presenters who can lead social workers through discussions and peer-sharing about topics relating to ethics. Presentation can be from 60, 90, or 120 minutes in length and must fulfill IDFPR requirements for ethics education. We want ethics to be fun—such as we are strongly discouraging lecture-only based presentations.
Deadline: Monday, April 27, 2020
OTHER CHAPTER NEWS
· NASW demands Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) cease sharing immigrant youth psychotherapy notes: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-demands-office-of-refugee-resettlement-orr-cease-sharing-immigrant-youth-psychotherapy-notes
· FEBRUARY 2020 UPDATE: Pre-Approval for Graduate Students Taking the LSW Exam: https://www.naswil.org/post/update-pre-approval-for-graduate-students-taking-the-lsw-exam
· National Association of Social Workers Opposes President Trump’s Fiscal 2021 Budget: https://www.naswil.org/post/national-association-of-social-workers-opposes-president-trump-s-fiscal-2021-budget
· NASW opposes President Trump’s new travel ban: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-opposes-president-trump-s-new-travel-ban
· 2020 NASW-Illinois Chapter Endorsements: https://www.naswil.org/post/2020-nasw-illinois-chapter-endorsements
· NASW opposes new Medicaid Block Grant Initiative: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-opposes-new-medicaid-block-grant-initiative
· U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Punishes Poor and Working Class Immigrants: https://www.naswil.org/post/u-s-supreme-court-ruling-punishes-poor-and-working-class-immigrants
· NASW Illinois MyNASW Community: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-illinois-mynasw-community