October 2023 - Northeastern District Update
Jacki Brunk (she/her), LCSW
Northeastern District Chair
Welcome to the monthly district update for the Northeast District!
As I write this update, I see the leaves falling off the tress as they change color, signifying fall has arrived. However, these last days of 80 degree temperatures do feel uplifting and make me appreciate the changing and shifting weather of the Midwest.
Unfortunately, I’ve had to cancel our upcoming Northeastern District Chat with the Senator event on October 12th. While I do feel this is a beneficial event, the response was too low. I hope to reschedule again next calendar year. I am working on upcoming events in the next calendar year, after our licenses have been renewed.
Renewal requirements include:
· 3 hours in Ethics
· 3 hours in Cultural Competency
· 1 hour in Implicit Bias Awareness
· Mandated Reporter Training
· Alzheimer’s Disease and other Dementias
· Sexual Harassment Prevention
If you’re still looking to fulfil obligations for specialty CEUs, use this link to find recorded trainings on the NASW website. https://www.naswil.org/events
Please reach out to me with comments, questions and/or suggestions about the information NASW shares with you. I also want to hear from you regarding topics or speakers that interest you.
Registration Open! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Join us for two days of live virtual education with social workers across our sister chapters in NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota! This year's annual conference will take place on Thursday, November 2, and Friday, November 3, 2023, via Pheedloop. Up to 11.0 live virtual CEUs will be offered, including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. For more information and to register, go to: naswmeets.org.
2023 NASW-Illinois Chapter Statewide Awards
This year, the National Association of Social Workers, Illinois Chapter (NASW-IL) is honoring the work of some exceptional Illinois social workers and individuals whose work promotes social justice and social change with and on behalf of the people and clients they serve. This year’s 2023 NASW-Illinois Chapter Statewide Award winners include: Lifetime Achievement Awardee Thomas A. Kmetko, LCSW; Social Worker of the Year Chelsea Laliberte Barnes, LSW; Emerging Social Work Leader Leyda M. Garcia-Greenawalt, LSW, MSW; and Public Citizen of the Year Raquel Rosendo. Read more about this year’s winners at: https://www.naswil.org/post/2023-nasw-illinois-chapter-statewide-awards
Other Chapter News:
· September 2023 - Student Network SIG Update:https://www.naswil.org/post/september-2023-student-network-sig-update
· Partial Loan Repayment Assistance Available to Those Working in Community Mental Health Centers: https://www.naswil.org/post/partial-loan-repayment-assistance-available-to-those-working-in-community-mental-health-centers
· NASW-IL Advocacy At Work: Gov. Signs HB 2365 Providing Alternative to ASWB Exam: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-il-advocacy-at-work-gov-signs-hb-2365-providing-alternative-to-aswb-exam
· Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL:https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
· Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know -https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? -https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog