August 2023 - Northeastern District Update
Jacki Brunk (she/her), LCSW
Northeastern District Chair
Welcome to the monthly district update for the Northeast District!
There are a host of CEU opportunities for social workers to attend and meet the requirements for licensure renewal in November. Remember to check the website for virtual and in-person events that you’re interested in. I’m in the process of securing some events specific to our Northeastern District, and will send out information as soon as these events are planned.
Please reach out to me with comments, questions and/or suggestions about the information NASW shares with you. I want to hear from you regarding topics or speakers that interest you.
IDFPR Officially Removes In-Person CE Requirement
Rules have been officially passed by JCAR to entirely remove the in-person continuing education requirement from social work licensure renewal. This means that for the current licensure renewal cycle ending on November 30, 2023, and onwards, the requirement that a minimum of 50% of continuing education hours be obtained by a method that includes face-to-face, in-person instruction is now entirely removed from social work licensure. While the department still has to complete an administrative step before the rule change is officially adopted, for the purposes of Illinois social workers, the previous requirement that 50% of education be obtained in-person is no longer required. Thank you to our members for your work and support to get this monumental requirement lifted from licensure. Read more about the removal here: https://www.naswil.org/post/idfpr-officially-removes-in-person-ce-requirement
Registration is OPEN! 2023 NASW Chapters Conference
Registration is now open for this year’s 2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession. This year’s two-day conference will be hosted with our sister chapters, NASW-Nevada and NASW-North Dakota, and offer up to 11.0 CEUs including CEUs fulfilling requirements for ethics, cultural competency, and suicide prevention. Register at:https://site.pheedloop.com/event/2023nasw/home. Find out more at:https://www.naswil.org/conference.
2023 NASW Chapters Conference: A Meeting of the Profession
Conference Website: https://www.naswil.org/conference
Dates: Thursday, November 2 & Friday, November 3, 2023
CEUs: 11.0 CEUs including courses fulfilling requirements for ethics and cultural competency
Time: 11:00am–5:30pm Central Time
Schedule and Classes: Complete conference schedule and classes will be announced in August 2023
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Accepting Nominations for the 2023 Social Work Awards
Extended Deadline: Thursday, August 17, 2023
The nomination deadline has been extended! Nominations are still being accepted for this year's NASW-Illinois Chapter Social Work Awards! We’re looking for outstanding individuals whose work has supported and promoted the social work profession and the people it serves. Nominations will be accepted through Thursday, August 17, 2023. Read more about the award categories and how to request a nomination form at:https://www.naswil.org/post/deadline-extended-accepting-nominations-for-the-2023-social-work-awards.
Other Chapter News
· NASW Chapter Presidents Call for Affirmative Action Support:https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-chapter-presidents-call-for-affirmative-action-support
· Get Ready to Update Records and Billing with New Nonbinary Gender Option in IL:https://www.naswil.org/post/get-ready-to-update-records-and-billing-with-new-nonbinary-gender-option-in-il
· NASW Mourns Loss of Past President Mildred “Mit” Joyner:https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-mourns-loss-of-past-president-mildred-mit-joyner
· NASW Deeply Disappointed by Recent Supreme Court Rulings:https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-deeply-disappointed-by-recent-supreme-court-rulings
· NASW is Committed to Advancing the Human Rights and Well-being of all LGBTQIA2S+ People: https://www.naswil.org/post/nasw-is-committed-to-advancing-the-human-rights-and-well-being-of-all-lgbtqia2s-people-1
· Student Loan Payments to Resume: What You Need to Know -https://www.naswil.org/post/student-loan-payments-to-resume-what-you-need-to-know
· June 2023: Illinois Spring Legislative Session Update:https://www.naswil.org/post/june-2023-illinois-spring-legislative-session-update
· Learn More About Social Work Exam Alternative Bill HB2365 SA1:https://www.naswil.org/post/learn-more-about-social-work-exam-alternate-bill-hb2365-ha1
· Ask NASW-IL: Can a CEU course fulfill 2 CEU specialties at once? https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-can-a-ceu-course-fulfill-2-ceu-specialties-at-once
· Social Work Profession One Step Closer to Interstate Licensure Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/social-work-profession-one-step-closer-to-interstate-licensure-compact
· Ask NASW-IL: Will this course count for CEUs in Illinois? -https://www.naswil.org/post/ask-nasw-il-will-this-course-count-for-ceus-in-illinois
· February 14, 2023 Update on the Social Work Interstate Compact:https://www.naswil.org/post/february-14-2023-update-on-the-social-work-interstate-compact
For more news, go to the NASW-Illinois Chapter News page: https://www.naswil.org/blog